Scupper 96


Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  683.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1691 Total Hours


Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

March 8, 2019

Scupper 96


The day’s main event was to be the primer on the interior, and I got right to it, priming all surfaces in the forward and main cabins that required it, including the bulkhead paneling, overhead (forward cabin), cabin trunk, galley, and settees.  The main cabin overhead, as it stood, did not require painting as it would be covered with a cosmetic veneer later.  I left the head compartment for a separate operation some other time.

After a break, I primed both sides of all the loose locker hatches from the settees and forward berth, except the large center pieces from the berth, which I’d left in the storage area beneath the forward berth and would finish later.

The owner and I had a conversation about the battery placement, and ultimately decided upon a plan with four of the batteries across the centerline of the engine room, and two additional on each side, with the two house batteries to be located forward, beneath the v-berth, to help with weight distribution.

Meanwhile, I finished up work on the forward cabin door trim.  After unclamping the UHWM inserts, I lightly planed the surfaces smooth and flush again before setting up the dado cutter for a 5/16″ groove, which I then milled in the appropriate location down the new plastic.  As before, I chiseled square the curved ends of the plunged-cut bottom rail.

Afterwards, I milled rounded edges on the trims where necessary, and sanded them smooth and clean before applying a sealer coat of varnish.

Total time billed on this job today:  7 hours

0600 Weather observation:  -8°, clear. Forecast for the day:  Mostly sunny, 32°