Scupper 218

Boat:

Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  681.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1689 Total Hours

 

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

January 13, 2020

Scupper 218

Monday

In the varnish room, I flipped the loose table pieces and, after final preparations, applied the satin varnish to the opposite sides (the “main” side) and edges of all.  The table base, with its coat of satin varnish from last time, was complete.

I spent the rest of the day working on the electrical panels and final wiring connections.  Starting with remaining circuits at the forward end of the electrical locker, I made up the positive connections as needed to the first part of the panel (the forward section), and also terminated to the negative buss all the negative wires from these circuits plus the various lighting circuits I’d run previously, straightening and securing the wires as progress allowed.  It made logistical sense to run the short leads from the VHF and the two 12-volt outlets in the electrical panel directly over the top part of the panel, where I connected the leads to circuit breakers and the panel’s built-in negative buss.  As I went, I labeled all the wires and noted the breakers I chose for each circuit so I could order the appropriate panel labels.  I temporarily removed the cover over the AC panel since it was impeding clear access to the terminal screws on the adjacent DC panel.

With the forward half of the panel fully wired, I moved on and began making up the wires left near the aft side of the locker, and made various additional connections to the negative buss and second half of the electrical panel by the end of the day’s work.  This left a few wires behind–namely the bilge pumps (2) and a separate switched lighting circuit for the galley and companionway–for me to finish up next time.

Total time billed on this job today:  8 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  15°, mostly cloudy.  Forecast for the day:  Mostly cloudy, chance of light snow, 28°