Scupper 141

Boat:

Scupper, a 1979 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project is being completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  341.75

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  651.25

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
Beginning in Fall 2019

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

May 9, 2019

Scupper 141

Thursday

I spent the morning taking care of various odds and ends and small tasks, starting with the companionway ladder, which I unmasked around the new blocks to remove the epoxy residue, cleaned up, then remasked for varnish buildup.

The drawer fronts were complete now, so I installed brass knobs and installed the drawers.

Beneath the galley, in the space containing the sink through hull and space for the portable cooler, I finally cleaned up the surfaces, masked as needed (mainly around the through hull, and applied gray bilge paint to the area, reaching as far as I could beneath the cabinet and beyond the through hull.  This was one of the last spaces to receive this treatment.

Still in the galley, I secured the cherry piece to the top of the little raised platform, using epoxy adhesive to hold it in place without fasteners.

I continued the varnish work on the head trim with coat #3 of gloss varnish.

A power outage in the afternoon limited work time on some potential projects I’d planned, but with bright sunny weather, plenty of light in the shop, and a mild agenda for the rest of the day anyway, I worked on the electrical panel to install the two 12-volt outlets (USB and socket types), the battery monitor unit, and test-fit of the VHF, though the flush-mount kit I required to secure the VHF in the panel was still on order; in the photo, the VHF is just resting in place in the cutout.

Total time billed on this job today:   5 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  Clear, 32°. Forecast for the day:  Mostly sunny, 59°