Scupper 67

Boat:

Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  681.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1689 Total Hours

 

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

January 28, 2019

Scupper 67

Monday

After a late-ish start while I took care of other business, I started in main cabin, where I worked in the lockers beneath the settees, cleaning up the final remnants of the old coring that I’d removed.

Beneath the galley, I cleaned up the lowermost locker as much as I could given the access, focusing on the inside of the old galley sink through hull, which I’d previously filled and patched from  the outside, but this patch still required fiberglass on the inside, which I’d do soon.  That hose is attached to the drain on the old icebox, and remains currently inaccessible.

In the forward cabin, I used a grinder to clean up the cuts at the aft end of the berth, where I’d removed the old, tall hanging lockers, and also cleaned up the hull and surrounding areas as needed in these corners.

Next, I sanded all the forward cabin liners, including the berth platform and edges, undersides of the deck, and overhead, with three separate rounds of sanding:  first with 80 grit to break and remove the gloss and clean the surface; then two rounds of sanding with an orbital finishing sander, ending with 120 grit, to hone the surface properly for the upcoming primer and paint steps (ad whatever else).  I still needed to come back and finish up the corners and detail areas.

With a bit of time left in the day, I moved back to the main cabin and finish-sanded the starboard settee, again with the 6″ orbital sander and ending at 120 grit.

Total time billed on this job today:  6.75 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  20°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 21°