Scupper 245

Boat:

Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  681.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1689 Total Hours

 

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

February 19, 2020

Scupper 245

Wednesday

With a commitment away from the shop, I knew it would be a shorter day, and it seemed a good time to finish up the paint work on the spreaders and on the mainsheet riser block.  So one of the first tasks of the day was to get set up and prepare the paint, and then over the course of the day I sprayed three coats of the same gloss white paint I’d used on the spars, hull, and deck.  I segregated the spreaders in the main shop, since I didn’t have any good way to secure them for painting in my small paint room upstairs where I worked on the mainsheet, so I could still do some work in the woodshop, but I mostly stayed out of the boat during the day because of the paint fumes.

In and around the three coats of paint, I finished up the work on the new mast wiring cover box, sanding it smooth and rounding the edges for appearance before applying a sealer coat of varnish, the first of several to build up the required finish.

I finished up the battery box top extensions on the final three boxes, so these were ready for installation as soon as I could make the other final preparations needed in the engine room.  To that end, I milled a series of cleats from teak leftover from the bowsprit project, and I planned to use these cleats to help secure the boxes on the shelves in the engine room, along with straps as I’d used for the forward battery bank.  I also milled cleats for that battery, a bit of additional support to be sure the battery box couldn’t slide.  I planned to epoxy and screw these cleats in place as needed to secure the bottoms of the boxes, and would continue with that work shortly.

Total time billed on this job today:  5.5 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  20°, partly cloudy, 5-6″ of new snow down from yesterday.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny and windy, 35° but getting colder throughout the day