Scupper 212

Boat:

Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  681.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1689 Total Hours

 

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

January 3, 2020

Scupper 212

Friday

It was a quiet day, with important yet largely non-visual progress at the shop, aimed mostly at setting things up for the work to come in the next weeks.

To begin, I cleaned up as needed from the mast painting operation,putting away the painting supplies and equipment so I could get that side of the shop back to normal.  I left the freshly-painted spars alone for now for some additional cure time, but soon planned to move them to the side so I could reclaim the bay for a vehicle that I stored there, but had moved out for the painting operation.

Completing the mast painting was a significant milestone, and I wanted to finish its reassembly as soon as possible so the riggers and sailmakers could get back to work on their respective jobs, so to that end I went through all the mast hardware, noting the fasteners required so I could order replacements as needed, which I did once I’d checked existing stock against my scribbled notes.

Next, I turned to the new bowsprit, which I’d glued up some time before.  Now I removed the clamps, scraped off the excess epoxy, and milled the blank to the final dimensions, using the original as a guide:  10-1/4″ wide and 84-1/2″ long.

I finished up the blank by rounding the corners as appropriate, and sanding the whole thing smooth.  Since the bowsprit would remain bare, this completed the initial construction, and I could soon prepare to install it.

Afterwards, I lightly sanded, cleaned, then revarnished the new cherry trim pieces and the cabin table.  I’d recently moved an unrelated finishing project out of my little finishing room, and now I spread the table pieces out there to allow the refinishing process to go on over the coming days, as the numerous two-sided pieces would require extra time to varnish completely.  I planned to finish up the cherry trim over the weekend, so I left them in the main shop for the duration.

Total time billed on this job today:  7 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  30°, cloudy. Forecast for the day:  Cloudy, 42°