Scupper 181

Boat:

Scupper, a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project is being completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  341.75

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  651.25

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – (Ongoing)

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

November 13, 2019

Scupper 181

Wednesday

With the topsides paint complete, now I could remove the masking tape defining the boottop.  I also chose to remove the old tape marking the waterline (bottom edge of the boottop), as this tape had been on there for quite a while, and had been sanded and primed over, and while it was in good condition I didn’t want to risk a problem removing it once the boottop had been painted, so it made sense to replace it.

I needed to give the fresh hull paint some cure time before I could mask off the topsides in preparation for the boottop painting, so, having done what I could on the boat herself for now, I spent the rest of the day’s time working on an assortment of tasks to get ready for the work to come once the paint was all complete, including sourcing and ordering teak to build the new bowsprit and tiller, and preparing some measurements for a new boom vang we hoped to order.

I’d earlier pulled out of storage some of the original hardware–ports and stanchions–to prepare them for eventual reinstallation, and now I cleaned up the bonding surfaces on the bronze ports (three small round and the large rectangular galley port), plus the bronze trim rings for the six elliptical deadlights in the cabin.  I had new lens material on hand for the cabin deadlights.

The stanchion bases required some sealant removal and basic polishing to prepare them for re-use.

Total time billed on this job today:  6.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  12°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 26°