February 5, 2019
I got started again in the cabin, where I sanded all the epoxy fairing compound over the various liner/overhead patches. This brought most areas close to their final contours, with only minor spot-filling still required, which I did next.
After sanding smooth the new corner pieces in the forward hatch surround, I did a final test-fit of the hatch. Remaining work here would take place later, when it became time to finish off the trim work around the inside of the hatch, but for now I stored the hatch away for safekeeping.
I dressed up the last coat of fairing compound on the bottom of the rudder, completing the preliminary work, then cut two layers of fiberglass to cover both sides and wrap around the bottom of the blade. I left the second layer back a ways from the leading and trailing edges so that I could later incorporate a separate application of fiberglass to wrap these areas, since the curves and various planes wouldn’t allow all areas to be properly covered at once.
I spent the remainder of the morning cleaning up and preparing for my meeting with the owner, which took place over several hours in the after noon, during which we discussed myriad aspects of the interior and other work still to come on the boat. The fruits of these discussions would be illustrated in these pages in the weeks to come.
Total time billed on this job today: 7.25 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 33°, partly cloudy. Forecast for the day: A rain shower, perhaps, then mostly clearing, around 50°