Scupper 87


Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  683.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1691 Total Hours


Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

February 25, 2019

Scupper 87


It was a short day with a couple short-ish work sessions, in between which I had to leave the shop on other business for much of the day.

Knowing this in advance, I chose to work on several smaller projects, starting with the bulkhead paneling.  I lightly sanded all the hole patches I’d made, then cleaned up and filled a second time as needed.

In the chainlocker, I lightly sanded the new platform, and redrilled a few of the ventilation and drain holes that had been covered with fiberglass during installation.

Preparing to finish up work beneath the galley countertop so I could move forward with final installation when ready, I resecured the original drawer supports below the stove cutout; these had been somewhat loose, and required new fasteners to re-secure.

For the countertop surface itself, the owner asked for teak covered with bartop finish for a standout appearance in the cabin.  I thought I could reclaim enough teak from some of the boat’s old trim pieces that I’d stored since removing them some time ago, so now I went through the pile of old trim, discarding pieces that were of no use because of damage or small size or fastener holes, but in the end I had a fair pile of decent wood to use.

My next step was to trim off any unusable portions of the remaining trim boards, leaving me with clean boards free from major damage or fasteners.  Then, I set up the table saw to resaw the 3/4″+ boards in half, creating two 5/16″ thick pieces that I could later plane and sand smooth and clean and use for the new countertop surface.

Total time billed on this job today:  4.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  32°, partly cloudy.  Forecast for the day:  Windy, clear, temperatures dropping