Scupper 127

Boat:

Scupper, a 1979 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project is being completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  341.75

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – (Ongoing)

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Begin Daily Project Logs

April 17, 2019

Scupper 127

Wednesday

As is my wont, I began the day by lightly sanding the forward cabin door trim in the boat, as well as the overhead trim pieces to prepare them for their next coat of varnish.  These now had four coats of gloss varnish, and were ready for the switch to satin varnish, and for the moment I set these aside for later attention, moving some of the trims out of the way so I could use the tables for the overhead panels.

In the head, I sanded the primer I’d applied last time, preparing the space for finish paint.  I cleaned up the sanding spoils and solvent-washed all the surfaces afterwards.

Staying with the theme, next I sanded the primer on all the overhead panels and other panels currently being painted.  Afterwards, I cleaned up the boat and shop as needed, and prepared all the panels for paint by laying them out on various tables in the shop and solvent-washing to clean them.

Meanwhile, I received a new delivery of additional cherry wood so I could finish up the cabin sole and other remaining bits of trim throughout the boat, and then I took a short trip to pick up some of the new interior cushions from my upholstery contractor (more on these later).

Back at the shop, I returned to the head and applied the first coat of white semi-gloss enamel to all surfaces.

I continued with all the flat panels.

I applied the second coat of base varnish to the forward cabin door trim.

Finally, I cut the frame pieces for the last door in the galley, into the cooler storage space.  I kept the lower rail extra wide to deal with the dogleg shape of the bottom edge of the opening, and cut the remaining pieces as needed to create the overall door dimensions required.  Soon I’d mill the grooves for the panel and get going on finishing up and assembling all the new doors.

Total time billed on this job today:  7 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  30°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 56°