Scupper 124


Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  683.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1691 Total Hours


Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

April 13, 2019

Scupper 124


After a light sanding and cleanup, I applied another coat of varnish to the overhead trim pieces.

There were four cabinet doors required in the cabin:  One for the opening to the chainlocker; one for a small storage cubby a the forward end of the v-berth; one for a storage area beneath the galley sink; and a final one for the lower galley storage area, against the hull (though this opening required modification in order to fit a cooler within, so I left this door for later).

Concentrating for now on the three doors that were ready for attention, I measured the rough openings and figured out the sizes of the doors needed.  These would be simple surface-mount flat-panel doors, built from cherry.

Once I’d determined the overall frame size, I cut the rails and stiles from some 2″ wide stock that I’d earlier ripped for this purpose.

Next, I slotted all the frame pieces to accept the plywood center panels.  I used a slot cutting bit in a router for this job, since the slots in the vertical stiles had to end before the ends of the pieces so the slots wouldn’t show through.   I didn’t have any fancy setups to make these cuts, so with the slot cutter I had I required two passes to make the slot the proper width for the panels, which was OK for a small quantity of doors like this.

To ease the transition between the frame and panel on the visible side of the door, I clamped the frame pieces tightly together temporarily and routed a chamfer on the edge, which I’d later sand clean and smooth before final assembly.  For the moment, I was out of time, so I set the pieces aside for later attention.

Total time billed on this job today:  3.5 hours

0600 Weather observation:  42°, clouds and showers. Forecast for the day:  Showers, fog and mostly cloudy, 66°