Scupper 43

Boat:

Scupper, a 1979 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project is being completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  341.75

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  651.25

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
Beginning in Fall 2019

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

May 17, 2018

Scupper 43

< Back to Scupper

Thursday

Once more, by hand and machine as needed, I sanded the continuing work on the coachroof, bringing it incrementally closer to its final shape.

Meanwhile, I sanded the new fiberglass patches in the cockpit area.

Moving to the shop floor, I sanded all the new through hull patches, bringing the edges flush with the adjacent surfaces and ready for fairing.

After cleaning up, I applied a coat of fairing compound to the through hull patches.

On deck, I continued with another application of fairing compound on the coachroof and  on the new patches in the cockpit, plus some detail work in a few other areas here and there.

Later, I turned  to  the old hole leftover from a solar vent  in the coachroof.   Whether or not a  replacement  vent was in the plans for the future, we decided to patch the existing  hole and maintain flexibility for any and all  new installations later, and earlier I’d prepared the opening for patchwork by grinding around the existing hole in the usual way.  Now, I covered the inside of  the hole  and filled it with a structural epoxy plug before applying two layers of new fiberglass over the top, completing the patch.  Sometime later I’d address the inside of the opening.

Finally, I decided to enlarge a bit the new cutout for the lazarette hatch.  When I first cut the opening, I’d kept it a conservative size, not yet sure how large I could or should make it, but access would be enhanced with a larger opening, and with plenty of room inside it made sense to increase the size for better ingress to  the space, as well as to  make room for a hatch lining and raised edge.  I enlarged the opening by 2″ on each side and made preparations for the next steps to continue work on the  hatch opening.

Total time billed on this job today:  7.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  50°, cloudy.  Forecast for the day:  Clearing, 72°