Scupper 196


Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  683.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1691 Total Hours


Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

December 5, 2019

Scupper 196


After some minor surface preparation and fiberglass cutting, I installed 10 layers of biaxial fiberglass to fill the space I’d opened up in the overhead liner beneath the mast step.  This brought the surface close to flush with the old liner.

While I let the fiberglass cure for a while, I installed the AC shore power plug with my newly-arrived 10/3 cable, securing the wires to the receptacle as needed and fastening the strain relief in place after leading the wires out what would be the aft side of the housing.  Then, I installed the receptacle in the coaming, this time with its supplied gasket in place.

From below, I left some excess wire looped up inside the coaming to allow removal of the plug from outside if needed, then secured the cable along the inside of the coaming and around the aft side of the cockpit and then up the starboard side to the aft bulkhead, where I left the excess for now, pending the final run up to the electrical panel in the near future.

By now, the new fiberglass at the mast step had cured sufficiently to allow me to apply some epoxy compound thickened with high-density filler over the plug, bringing the whole area flush with the adjacent liner.  This would provide the necessary firm support for the compression post, and also allow me fresh, flat material into which I could recess the mast step nuts and washers.

While I had mast step on the mind, I marked and drilled the new stainless steel organizer plate for the mast step bolts.

With fittings and hoses now on hand, I chose to install the cockpit scuppers.  I’d long ago removed the old plastic fittings from the cockpit, and the remaining holes needed just some minor cleanup and, on the port side, slight enlargement to fit the new bronze drain fittings, which I then installed in a heavy bed of sealant.

In the engine room, I installed new hoses and clamps to complete the scupper drains.

While I was working in the engine room, I slightly changed how I’d led the positive battery cable to the engine to clean up the appearance of the two cables just forward of the engine room.  With new parts now on hand, I could also install a couple more line clamps for the yellow negative cable, and fully secure the engine battery switch with four screws through the external housing.

Looking for a loose end to fill the last part of the afternoon, I decided to install the bobstay tang on the stem, now that I had the new fasteners I needed on hand.  After reaming out the bolt holes to remove debris, and removing the bottom paint in way of the bonding surface, installation was a fairly straightforward affair, using copious amounts of sealant to bed the fitting and fasteners.  Sticking with what had been there originally, I chose extra heavy nuts to secure the bolts from the small space below the chain locker, using locking pliers to hold the nuts while I tightened the bolts from outside.  Afterwards, I cleaned up the excess sealant.

Total time billed on this job today:  8.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  18°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Partly sunny, 38°