Scupper 2


Scupper, a 1979 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


Early phase in September 2017 Hardware removal and early assessment

Phase 1 March 2018 – October 2018:  Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work

Phase 2 Coming in Winter 2018-2019:  Interior and more

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Begin Daily Project Logs

September 14, 2017

Scupper 2

< Back to Scupper


Continuing early preparations even though I didn’t plan to get to the major jobs involved in this project for some months, I got to work removing some of the deck hardware, starting with the lifelines and stanchions.  After removing the old lifelines for storage–they’d require replacement–I marked each stanchion for its location before continuing.  Access to the underside of these fittings was only so-so, with the molded interior liner obscuring some of the fasteners and making removal more difficult.  Fortunately, the fasteners themselves gave in to the removal efforts with nary a whimper, and the bulk of the time spent on the task came from the usual back and forth and up and down and challenges in fastener access.

With the six stanchions removed (which improved fore and aft access along the narrow sidedecks for now), I continued at the bow and removed the two large mooring cleats, bow chocks, and the anchor line hawsepipe through the foredeck.  The cleats and a small eye strap fitting were frustrating to remove since the nuts were embedded deeply in narrow holes drilled through a solid plywood backing located between the interior liner and the deck above, with barely enough clearance for a deep socket to fit through, but fortunately the fasteners themselves didn’t spin when I removed the nuts from beneath, as this would have substantially complicated the removal.

Total time billed on this job today:  4 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  50s, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 80s.