Scupper 214


Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  683.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1691 Total Hours


Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

January 7, 2020

Scupper 214


I finished up work on the electric bilge pumps’ installation, beginning with where I left off in the engine room at the new diaphragm pump.  I installed a bronze suction screen on the end of the hose leading to the bilge, then secured the hose as needed from the bilge, through a small intake filter, and to the pump itself, through the new holes I’d prepared in the small divider bulkhead.  Then, I led the discharge hose from the pump and aft through the engine room as needed, securing it with rubber-lined clamps along the way.

At the transom, where I’d recently installed the outlet through hull, I finished off both hose runs from both electric pumps, starting with the larger hose from the forward pump.  I led this hose in an arc to the underside of the deck to minimize backflow potential through the hull fitting, and then secured the smaller hose from the everyday diaphragm pump to the larger hose to keep it out of the way as well.

Armed now with new fasteners, I turned to the mast reassembly, and spent the remainder of the day reinstalling most of the hardware, except for the masthead casting, which I left off for now till I could run in the wires needed.  For all the fasteners, I treated the threads with Tef-Gel to reduce future corrosion problems.

I reassembled the boom ends, and installed a bail at the aft end for the main sheet.

Finally, I re-led messenger lines for the halyards, leaving things ready for the riggers when they returned later in the week.

Total time billed on this job today:  7 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  11°, mostly clear. Forecast for the day:  Mostly sunny, 32°