November 11, 2019
I got started up on deck, where I masked off the new paint edge along the perimeter of the deck and covered the decks with plastic to protect them during the hull painting.
I removed the staging to clear the work area, then set about striking and marking the top edge of the new boottop. I began setting up my level beams at the transom and stem (I’d leveled the boat previously), choosing a point at each end to provide a 2-1/2″ visual height to the new stripe, then struck and marked the boundary in my usual manner.
I masked beneath the newly-made tick marks, then at the bow masked a new, sheered line, starting well back on the hull (about 10′) and eventually extending 2″ higher than the marks at the stem, in keeping with the boat’s original striping and the specific characteristics of the boat’s bow sections. Afterwards, I covered the area below the tape with paper to protect against overspray. (Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the bootstripe from all angles just after I taped it.)
During the remainder of the day, I set up staging at the appropriate height, added additional lighting around the shop to illuminate the hull, cleaned the floor and staging, solvent-washed and tacked off the hull, and finished all the other paint and equipment preparations required to be ready for paint in the morning.
Total time billed on this job today: 7.25 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 34°, cloudy. Forecast for the day: Cloudy, with a chance of rain and snow, 37°