November 2, 2019
In a short work session, I finished up the sanding on the port decks, and also the four loose hatches currently underway.
Later, I removed the bolts securing the spreader base hardware to the mast–two upper bolts, plus a large bolt below that also secured the tangs for the lower shrouds. The base featured one of those confining designs where every bolt interfered with an adjacent one, or the hardware itself, to prevent easy use of tools that might actually be able to grip the nuts and bolt heads, so by removing the base I eliminated most of the impediments. Astute readers may recall that the port spreader had been repaired at some point in the past, but the stub was galvanically welded to the base and unremovable during the rigger’s visit earlier. I’d been soaking these bolts and environs with penetrating solvent for a week or two, and with the unit now clamped in a vise and the bolts accessible with sockets, I could break them free and remove them with difficulty, fighting for every thread. I planned to send the little insert to the rigger to go along with the main part of the spreader so the butt end could be properly repaired to match the original spreader on the opposite side.
Total time billed on this job today: 2.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 32°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, 49°