Scupper 158


Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  683.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1691 Total Hours


Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

June 18, 2019

Scupper 158


Now that the paint work at the companionway was complete, I could unmask the area and make up one final piece of trim to cover the exposed edge at the outboard side of the opening inside.  I made the “L”-shaped piece to cover the seams in this area, and once I’d test-fit the trim I removed it once more for final sanding and shaping, and then off to the varnish room.  Later, the unpainted exterior areas of the companionway trim would receive primer and paint to match the decks themselves.

After getting unintentionally sidetracked by another, unrelated, project, I got back to things in the late afternoon with the galley. Now that the countertop was complete, I could start to do the final installations and truly complete the space, which I looked forward to.

I began with the stovetop, which I’d removed from the galley early in the project.  It was a new-condition (and apparently never-used) two-burner alcohol drop-in.  Earlier, in a slack moment, I’d cleaned up some minor water staining that had marred the otherwise perfect stove; the cutting board was still in its plastic wrapping.  I found that I needed to enlarge the existing opening a bit in order to fit the stove, even though I’d patterned the new countertop around the original opening, but after a while I got the stove to fit back in and secured it with screws through the mounting flange.

I installed the drain fitting in the sink, using sealant to secure and bed the fitting in place, and added a bronze tailpiece for easy and effective drain hose connection.  The sink fit back in its opening without an issue, but for now I left it dry-fit until I could install the faucet that was due to arrive in another day.  The sink also came with a wooden cover and cutting board which is visible in some of the photos further down the page.

To fit the locker lids in the outboard countertop required that I clean up the openings a bit, as some of the epoxy coating had gotten into the corners, but after a bit the lids fit back in properly.  Later I planned to paint the insides of the openings and the edges of the lids since they looked a little raw as is.

Total time billed on this job today:  3 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  60°, mostly clear. Forecast for the day:  Partly sunny, 75°