Scupper 47

Boat:

Scupper, a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project is being completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  341.75

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  651.25

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – (Ongoing)

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

May 24, 2018

Scupper 47

< Back to Scupper

Thursday

I finished up work on the porthole openings.  Fortunately, the three on the starboard side (which hadn’t ever been subject to whatever trauma had so greatly affected everything on the port side) were much less contaminated with silicone, so the job to finish the final four went more quickly than just doing the first two earlier.

I had one short round of final (final for now, anyway) sanding on deck to take care of a couple areas where I’d applied epoxy filler last time.

With that, I decided it was time to refocus on the hull, and also on the interior surface prep, so I spent some time resetting the staging down to a lower height to make working on the hull comfortable once again.

I’d already done a round of fairing filler and related sanding on the various small (and some larger) areas requiring it on the hull, but after a round in most areas I’d decided to wait till I had better access before continuing.  I’d lightly sanded all the spots after the first application, taking care not to go too far pending additional sanding to the entire hull that would be part of the process in the near future. The hull side of the new hull-deck joint fairing would also require final attention and finish sanding.

To prepare for another round of fairing filler where needed, I solvent-washed the entire hull, ensuring that I could spot-fill anything I found along the way that might need it.  Afterwards, I applied more epoxy fairing compound as needed.

Total time billed on this job today:  4 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  48°, mainly cloudy.  Forecast for the day:  Sun and clouds, 60s