Scupper 70


Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter


This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  683.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1691 Total Hours


Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

January 31, 2019

Scupper 70


In the cabin, I spent the morning sanding the epoxy filler on all the fastener holes, as well as in the settee lockers.

After cleaning up, I applied a second round of filler to the fastener holes as needed.  In this case, I used a white quick-dry acrylic-based fine putty for this fine round of minor filling, an excellent product but one I don’t use often because my own preference for exterior work is and remains only epoxy-based fillers, but here in the cabin and for this purpose, this filler greatly streamlined the second round.

Back down at the rudder, I sanded the first round of epoxy filler I’d applied to the bottom of the rudder, as I worked to essentially create a new rudder core from thin air.

With the first round smoothed out sufficiently and cleaned, I applied another layer, building up the rudder shape closer to the final contours I wanted.  My goal was a basically flat bottom (parallel to the line I’d drawn on the rudder earlier), with a generous curve at the forward edge and a somewhat more square–but still curved–after corner.  This general shape would match photos of sisterships I’d found here and there.

With this second round, I though I was pretty close on the forward corner and basic shape of the bottom edge, but the after corner would require additional material later.  This solid epoxy “core” would later be covered in new fiberglass and tied in with the existing rudder blade.

Total time billed on this job today:  6.5 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  -10°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, teens.