Scupper 208

Boat:

Sea Breeze (FKA Scupper), a 1978 Legnos Mystic 30' Cutter

Schedule:

This project was completed in several phases over two years to meet the owner’s schedule.

Initial Pre-Project Inspection Report and Observations

Early Phase:  Hardware removal and early assessment
September 2017
Early Phase Hours:  26.75

Phase 1: Dismantling, surface prep, systems removal, repairs, structural work
March 16, 2018 – November 16, 2018 (Discontinuous)
Phase 1 Hours:  315

Phase 2: Interior, systems, and more
January 23, 2019 – June 21, 2019
Phase 2 Hours:  665.5

Phase 3:  Electrical, electric motor, plumbing,  final exterior finishing, and everything else
October 18, 2019 – March 27, 2020
Phase 3 Hours:  681.75

Scope of Project:  Comprehensive refit, including deck repairs, repower, interior makeover, hull work, and systems

Project Complete:  1689 Total Hours

 

Begin Daily Project Logs

Alternately, click the button below to navigate to a specific log.

December 23, 2019

Scupper 208

Monday

As a sort of break and change of pace, I chose to focus for a day on some ancillary, yet still critical, portions of the project that could otherwise tend to be pushed aside in favor of some of the larger ongoing jobs.

To begin, I checked the fit of the after bilge switch platform I’d glued up last time, and found that indeed it would still work fine even though I’d mistakenly glued the top piece on backwards, so I went ahead and sanded the two platforms as needed to clean them up for paint and final fitting.  I added wire tie mounts near the top of each platform to help guide the switch wires, then painted the platforms with bilge paint.

I surface-planed some rough teak 8/4 stock as needed to smooth the sawmill marks, and dimension the wood as needed for the bowsprit.  Afterwards, I straightened one edge with a simple plywood straightedge and a circular saw, then trimmed the opposite edges of the two boards on the table saw to prepare for gluing up into a blank wide enough for the new bowsprit.

Afterwards, I glued the two board together and clamped them securely.

After setting the assembly aside to cure, I got back to work on the original cabin table, which I’d stripped and mostly sanded during the end of Phase 2 earlier in the year.  Now, I went over the table base, leaves, and top and sanded everything with 220 grit to prepare for finishing.  Then, after vacuuming and solvent-washing to remove dust, I applied a sealer coat of varnish to all sides of all pieces.

To finish up some of the lighting and wiring in the cabin, I required a few additional trim pieces, including the following:

  • To cover the exposed wiring on the forward bulkhead (from lights and fans)
  • A purpose-built strip to hold two recessed puck lights the owner selected for the galley, plus a wire chase to hide the wiring from there
  • A ring to hold a third recessed puck light that would be mounted on the overhead near the companionway
  • A cover plate to hide a wire chase that I planned to build into the mast compression post

During the rest of the day, I milled, sanded, and otherwise prepared these trim pieces as required, so that by the end of the day I had everything ready for primer or sealer coats of varnish as needed.

Total time billed on this job today:  6.5 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  18°, partly clear.  Forecast for the day:  Mostly sunny, 42°