Lyra 60

Boat:

Lyra, a 1960 Pearson Triton

Schedule:

Project Schedule:  January 2021 – May 2021

Project Scope:  Interior work; deck hardware; cockpit repairs and refinishing; electrical work; electric motor installation; miscellaneous

Begin Daily Project Logs

April 15, 2021

Lyra 60

Friday

In a short work session before I had to leave for an appointment, I started with another round of sanding and varnish (5) on the coamings.

After sanding the first round of fairing compound on the taffrail, but before applying a second round to fine-tune the area, I test-fit the stern pulpit once more.  This fit much better now without the offending molding in the way, and I took the opportunity to measure for, and prepare, a set of slim wedges for beneath the forward legs of the pulpit.  The pulpit bases were welded, and these two didn’t match the contours of the short sidedecks in the area, so the wedges would make up for that.   Satisfied with the basic wedges, I set them aside for further trimming to better match the pulpit bases before installation.

With that done for now, I applied another light coat of fairing filler as necessary on the taffrail repair.

To round out the morning’s work, I installed the mooring bit on the foredeck.  Most of the prepwork was done, but I had to drill the holes through the new backing plate to accommodate the bolts from above.  I’d used some of the epoxy leftover from the taffrail to fill the old bolt holes left from the old cleat, and since the base of the mooring bit was hollow, I could install it right over the top of the uncured epoxy, applying sealant around the bearing surfaces at the edges and screw locations.  I secured the bitt from below with the backing plate, fender washers, lockwashers, and nuts.

Total time billed on this job today:  2 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  Mostly cloudy, 37°.   Forecast for the day:   Rain and snow, 38°