Lyra 25

Boat:

Lyra, a 1960 Pearson Triton

Schedule:

Project Schedule:  January 2021 – (Ongoing)

Project Scope:  Interior work; deck hardware; cockpit repairs; electrical work; electric motor installation

Begin Daily Project Logs

February 24, 2021

Lyra 25

Wednesday

After being away from the shop all morning to finish up a small job offsite, I got back to work in the afternoon on the forward hatch, ready now for the final installation after some final masking to the hatch frame itself.

I installed the hatch frame in a bed of thickened epoxy adhesive, securing the frame with clamps as needed to press it into the epoxy and to keep it level from side to side.  I cleaned up the excess epoxy and shaped it as needed inside and out, then removed all the masking tape leaving clean lines everywhere.  I left the frames in the clamps to cure overnight.

Next, I prepared and installed the plywood platform in the generator compartment, now that the support cleat at the forward end was in place.  After surface preparations, I epoxied the bottom (hidden) side of the platform, then installed it in a bed of thickened epoxy adhesive at both sides, forming fillets as needed to smooth the transition to the hull and at the cockpit end.  I used a couple small lead weights to hold the platform securely against the hull, as it tended to rock slightly.

Afterwards, having already masked off around the hatch coaming again, I cleaned up the original fillets with some more epoxy, just to improve appearance and make the fillets consistent all around.  I removed the tape afterwards to leave a clean line.

Total time billed on this job today:  2.5 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  32°, mostly clear.  Forecast for the day:   Increasing clouds, 46°