Lyra 27

Boat:

Lyra, a 1960 Pearson Triton

Schedule:

Project Schedule:  January 2021 – (Ongoing)

Project Scope:  Interior work; deck hardware; cockpit repairs; electrical work; electric motor installation

Begin Daily Project Logs

February 26, 2021

Lyra 27

Friday

I began the day with some light and quick sanding chores in the cockpit and generator locker, cleaning up the scupper openings, a small patch on the vertical repair to the lazarette opening, and lightly scuffing the new fiberglass on the generator platform.  I also cut off flush the old engine exhaust in the lazarette to prepare it for patching.

With the generator in place in the locker, I measured for some chocks that would help hold it securely for storage.  With a chock at each side of the new platform, plus the backstay chainplate (which held the generator securely at the aft end), and a simple lashing to secure the unit to the back side of the cockpit (where I planned to add some fittings to secure a lashing or strap), the generator wouldn’t move when not in use, yet would be easy to access and remove when needed.  I prepared two chocks from some scrap hardwood to fit the ends of the platform.

After final preparations, I epoxied the new wooden chocks in place, coating all surfaces of the wood with epoxy as well.

Meanwhile, I masked over the exterior of the old engine exhaust and filled it from within with an epoxy mixture.  Later I planned to cut off the exterior end flush.

Moving on, I turned to the forward hatch final installation.  After marking and predrilling all the fastener locations, I secured the hatch permanently with plenty of sealant and 20 screws, cleaning up the excess sealant squeezeout afterwards.  I’d leave the protective paper on the hatch for the duration of the project.

Inside the opening, I planned later to clean up and paint the exposed inner deck edge to finish it off.

In the cabin, I prepared the cabin sole and masked along the edges to protect the white paint.  I used a delicate-surface tape to be sure not to damage the fresh paint.  Afterwards, I applied a coat of the same light gray paint I used in the lockers and bilges.  This would give the new paint plenty of cure time over the weekend before any potential traffic.

Total time billed on this job today:  3.75 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  15°, clear.  Forecast for the day:   Sunny, 30°.