Holby 58


Holby Pilot 19


Project Schedule: April 2022- December 2022 (Non-Continuous)

Project Scope: Remove jet drive and engine and reconfigure for traditional outboard installation; paint hull; sundry related projects TBD

Project Complete:  304.5 Total Hours

Begin Daily Project Logs

December 1, 2022

Holby 58


I finished up the basic bilge pump wiring by bundling and securing the wire harness to the newly-installed wire mounts beneath the deck.  I also took the opportunity to run the main power cable leading to the console (which I’d had coiled and secured in a nearby locker) across to the port side battery locker, where it would eventually be connected to the battery switch once installed.  I secured the siphon break to its new support, and attached the hose from the bilge pump (left of photo) and an extra length of hose that I’d connect to the through hull once I installed it.

Next, I turned to the console, using my previously-made templates to prepare the new black textured UV-stabilized polyethylene surface for the three facets of the console.  I found to my dismay and disbelief that the lower, largest section was too large for any dimension of the product I’d ordered weeks before, so alas, I had to await its completion till I ordered a larger piece suitable for the dimensional requirements.  But I cut and installed the two upper sections, including installing the compass back in its original location.

I removed the masking from the nonskid on the livewell hatch, completing the paint work there.

The owner provided two new battery hold-down trays for the two batteries, to be installed in the port aft locker.  The style of tray and the dynamics of the locker required that I build a simple plywood platform to support the battery trays and allow them to be properly secured within the locker.  Once the new platform was cut to fit satisfactorily, I applied a couple coats of epoxy over the remainder of the day, which coating would help protect the plywood from moisture in the locker.  It looked to be a tight fit against the scupper drain hose for the inboardmost battery clamp, so I thought I might have to replace that hose with one slightly longer that I could bow out of the way in the center.

At this point most of the remaining tasks on my list required materials and parts not yet on hand (but on the way), so to wrap up the work for now I installed the inspection ports in the outboard well.  The fastener holes projected through the epoxy-filled edges of the holes, so installation was a straightforward matter of drilling, tapping, and installing the plastic units with sealant and machine screws.

Total time billed on this job today: 6 hours

0600 Weather Observation: 0600 Weather Observation: 33°, clear, dew point 19°. Forecast for the day: Partly sunny, 37°