Holby 61


Holby Pilot 19


Project Schedule: April 2022- December 2022 (Non-Continuous)

Project Scope: Remove jet drive and engine and reconfigure for traditional outboard installation; paint hull; sundry related projects TBD

Project Complete:  304.5 Total Hours

Begin Daily Project Logs

December 6, 2022

Holby 61


On the middle section of the console, I laid out the position for the flush-mount VHF, using the template included with the unit, then cut out the opening in the cover panel and structural panel to fit.  I didn’t yet have the flush-mount securing brackets, so I didn’t proceed with installation–but I wanted to get all the cutting done.

Similarly, I laid out and cut an opening to fit a bilge pump switch, the standard type allowing automatic or momentary manual operation.  I knew by now that the boat wasn’t wired for this switch at the moment–there was only a wire pair leading to the console, whereas the manual/automatic switch ultimately required four–ground, main power supply, manual pump and automatic pump (float switch).  Fortunately, there was a spare 14/2 wire pair already led through the conduit to the stern, leftover from a now-defunct livewell pump, so once the new panel switch was done I removed the existing wiring and connections from the bilge pump and switch (I’d rewired it according to how I’d removed the wires originally) and made up the connections as needed for the 3-way operation, using the spare wires to complete the new circuits required.


A simple task was to install the new battery mounting bases in the aft port compartment.  Final installation would wait till the bitter end to maintain ample room to finish up the bilge pump hoses (when the through hull arrived) and battery switch and related wiring.

I scraped and solvent-washed the lip beneath the livewell hatch, removing the last vestiges of the old gasket, then installed a new self-adhesive gasket around the perimeter.

Mid-day, I had another boat arrive at the shop, taking my attention for a time, but later, behind the helm console, I started work on the final wiring connections, beginning by making up the bilge pump connections as needed to the new panel.  For the moment, since I was lacking enough installed wire mounts (awaiting new adhesive), I led the wires through several temporary wire-securing locations in a rough estimate of the final wiring path, which allowed me to continue working even while I awaited the final materials required.  During the afternoon, I got a good start on the wiring, installing a new dual buss bar for positive and negative and making up several connections of existing and new wiring.  There’d be more to come and the situation was still a bit of a mess, but would come together nicely once I could install the proper number and location of wire mounts.  All to come in coming days once I get some deliveries.  I count on having most things I need for this sort of job on hand, so it’s frustrating when I find that my supplies are lacking or, in the case of tye adhesive for the wire tie mounts, unexpectedly unusable.

Total time billed on this job today: 6 hours

0600 Weather Observation: 0600 Weather Observation: 38°, overcast, dew point 35°. Forecast for the day: Mostly cloudy, 48°