November 1, 2022
As needed I lightly sanded the small epoxy patches filling the screw holes that I’d done last time, and some additional fine sanding at the two gelcoat repairs near the windshield, completing this prep for now.
I realized it’d be better to install the brass scupper liners for the outboard well now, rather than after primer or paint, since there might be minor additional epoxy work required, so after final preparations I installed these tubes with a thickened epoxy coating, holding them tightly with masking tape while the adhesive cured. Later, I dressed up the inside edges with additional epoxy fairing, and by the end of the day I could remove the tape from outside.
On the hull, I applied masking paper below the waterline, and masked off the rubrail and a few pieces of hardware to more or less complete the masking work there.
I planned to do the primer coats for both the hull and the aft part of the deck (i.e. the stern and new outboard well area) all at once, so I needed to mask the deck in a way to allow me to paint these areas. I’d originally planned to do the two tiny gelcoat repairs separately after the fact, but thought I could probably arrange the masking and coverings to allow access to these areas as well. TO this end, I spent the remainder of the day masking at the stern of the boat and nearby, making good progress but leaving a bit to finish off next time–mainly the round openings in the outboard well, the cockpit immediately forward of the transom, and plastic sheeting over the remainder of the deck areas.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.75 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 0600 Weather Observation: 53°, fog, dew point 50°. Forecast for the day: Fog, then becoming partly sunny, 64°