October 24, 2022
I started the day with a light sanding of all the new tabbing and related work in the outboard well.
After cleaning up and final preparations, I applied a coat of epoxy fairing filler as needed over the entire area, working to fill the weave of the cloth (and existing laminate on the back side of the bulkhead) and begin to smooth in the various transitions between tabbing and adjacent areas.
The livewell hatch was a little rough looking on its visible side, with wear and stains and a minor boo-boo or two from the recoring work, so after consultation with the owner we decided that it made sense to repaint this hatch along with the new work at the outboard well and stern of the boat. So to prepare, I first drilled a pilot hole through the center of the currently-filled latch location, so I could easily relocate it later, then lightly sanded the nonskid surface, stopping well short of attempting to remove the molded pattern as I decided to leave the raised nonskid area in keeping with the surrounding deck surfaces; I sanded only to prepare for skim-coating and filling the existing pattern, which I did next after masking off the area. I removed the tape immediately thereafter to maintain the sharp edge around the existing raised nonskid area.
To prepare the undersides of both hatch covers for painting, I applied a coat of two-part epoxy primer to the repairs I’d completed, which would ensure the final coating would cure properly over the fresh epoxy.
In other works, I addressed the existing vinyl rubrail surrounding the boat, which was scuffed and stained from use.
Earlier, I’d determined in a test area that the rail would clean up easily with solvent, so now I cleaned the entire rail accordingly.
Thuth endeth the day.
Total time billed on this job today: 4.75 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 55°, showers. Forecast for the day: Showers, 65°