Aventura 44


Charlotte (FKA Aventura), a 1977 Sea Sprite 23' Sloop


Project Complete:  273.75 Total Hours

Scope of Project: Hull and deck refinish; brightwork maintenance; repairs as necessary; minor interior refit

Begin Daily Project Logs

December 4, 2015

Aventura 44

< Back to Aventura


Before getting to work on other things, I took the opportunity to test-fit the cockpit coamings.  As expected, I was required to make minor adjustments to the coamings so they’d fit properly in their spaces.  I was able to bend the coamings in by hand for this fitting, so I didn’t set up my jacking system, and the process obviated photo-taking.  In the event, the adjustments were minor and easily effected, and I was glad I’d simply moved forward with final shaping and sanding of the pieces after building them.

In my habitual way, continued by lightly sanding the toerails and brightwork.  Then, later, after final preparations, I applied another coat of varnish.

The main coamings were complete, but now I had to replicate the two smaller pieces that spanned the after part of the cockpit, as well as a pair of caps to cover the tops of the molded coaming return blocks.  To start, I had to plane down a short piece of teak, one left over from and which excess length I’d cut off the original coaming board blanks before I’d dimensioned that stock.  I planed the short piece to the same thickness as the coamings, or about 7/8″.   With the original pieces at hand, I duplicated them as exactly as possible.  Then, I copied the coaming block caps, choosing to use thicker material here as well.  After final shaping and finish sanding, I applied a sealer coat of varnish to the coamings and all the other pieces.

Total time billed on this job today:  4 Hours

0600 Weather Report:
28°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, low 40s.