November 13, 2015
< Back to Aventura
Now that the deck paint had cured sufficiently overnight, I looked forward, as always, to removing all the paper and masking tape to fully reveal the new paint.
The next step to prepare for hull topcoats was to lay out and strike the boottop. As with the waterline earlier, I set up my horizontal beams at each end of the boat, this time 2″ above the waterline to demark the visual height of the boottop, and set up a string between the two. Working from amidships towards each end at a time, I pulled the line in, securing it and marking it on the hull. With the tick marks complete, I masked off the area beneath before continuing.
At the bow, I visually sheered the boottop fairly substantially, as per the original striping and to ensure consistent and appropriate visual height and appearance I raised the height at the stem approximately one visual inch above the “straight” version of the line.
I was struck again, as every time I work on one of these boats, by the amount of hollow in the waterline sections at the bow–not a typical design trait from Mr. Alberg, but he clearly wanted to try out the idea on this design.
I completed the new masking with a strip of paper below the tape to protect the boottop area from overspray.
Because I didn’t need to actually mask directly on the new deck paint, by the end of the day I felt comfortable draping the decks in plastic sheeting, the final step towards preparing for hull paint. I heavily masked the sheeting over the deck, securing it to the already-masked rubrails all the way around the perimeter of the deck.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.25 hours
0600 Weather Report:
40°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny and breezy, 50s.