December 3, 2015
The nonskid was complete, so I removed all the masking tape from the painted areas, but leaving it in place around the toerails and other brightwork so I could continue work there.
I lightly sanded all the brightwork–toerails, companionway, handrails, fiddles, and other trim–and, after cleaning and tacking off, applied another coat of varnish to all.
To fill a bit of time before lunch, I began going through the deck hardware to catalog the fasteners required for its reinstallation, and to clean up the hardware as required before installing it. I’d continue this process over the next day or two.
Later, I built the new cockpit coamings, using the originals as guides to shape the new ones from a pair of teak boards. To keep things moving, after cutting out the new coamings, I decided to press on and edge-mill and sand the coamings even though I’d not yet test-fit them since the new deck paint and varnish work prohibited access to the cockpit at the moment. I had good confidence in their shape, and in any event any adjustments would be at the lower edge and wouldn’t affect the sanding much.
Total time billed on this job today: 5 hours
0600 Weather Report:
35°, light rain showers. Forecast for the day: Occasional showers, around 40.