November 28, 2015
The holiday break had cut into my time earlier in the week, but I very much wanted to keep the toerail project moving along. To this end, I worked for a while to build the new wooden stem pieces. Using the old ones as a guide, and a paper template I’d made earlier, I cut two blanks from some teak stock I’d reserved for the purpose. On the boat, I test-fit the blanks and made minor adjustments as required, recutting one of the edges that had started out slightly oversized.
Once I was satisfied with the fit, I sanded the blanks smooth, and rounded over the exposed edges where necessary for appearance and coating retention.
Finally, I applied a sealer coat of varnish to all surfaces, and left the blanks to cure overnight.
Total time billed on this job today: 1.25 hours
0600 Weather Report:
Cloudy, 30°. Forecast for the day: Mainly cloudy, 40.