Aventura 20


Charlotte (FKA Aventura), a 1977 Sea Sprite 23' Sloop


Project Complete:  273.75 Total Hours

Scope of Project: Hull and deck refinish; brightwork maintenance; repairs as necessary; minor interior refit

Begin Daily Project Logs

October 30, 2015

Aventura 20

< Back to Aventura


I began by solvent-washing portions of the interior and the entire deck to prepare for masking.  Then, inside the boat, I masked off the port openings, forward hatch, and covered over any open fastener holes or other openings as required.

On deck, I masked over the companionway opening, cockpit locker opening, lazarette hatches (first covering the outboard well hole in the hull), rudderpost, scuppers, chainplates, port openings, and the vinyl rubrail along the deck perimeter.

I moved the staging aside and masked the lower edge of the vinyl rubrail on the hull side, then spent a few minutes fine-tuning the side-to-side position of the boat till she was level.  Then, in my habitual and well-documented way, I set up horizontal cross beams at the stem and stern at the correct height–determined by vestiges of the old scribe mark plus the measurements I’d made at the beginning of the project–to strike the waterline, aka the top edge of the bottom paint.  With the beams in place, I struck the new waterline, and masked it off with paper beneath to protect the bottom from overspray.

I’d planned on the final preparations using two work days, and though all the masking was done there was still plenty left to do, more than I could fit in at the lateness of hour, so I’d continue next time with the final round of preparations of shop, boat, and equipment before spraying high build primer.


Total time billed on this job today:  6.25 hours

0600 Weather Report:
42°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  sunny and breezy, 50s.