November 11, 2015
The final step to prepare for gloss topcoats was to mask off the eventual nonskid areas on deck, and I spent much of the day on this task. Starting in the cockpit, and moving on to the coachroof, I marked off 1″ wide borders in most areas, and masked to the lines, leaving radiused corners. I left extra width at the sides of the cockpit to account for the thickness of the cockpit coamings, and laid out the cockpit locker hatch lid in tandem with the surrounding areas to keep the borders consistent throughout.
At the deck edges, I used a piece of the old toerail to help measure for a 1″ border inside the eventual rail, and marked off this distance around the boat before masking to the line. At the stem, I left a wider area to leave me some wiggle room for the size and shape of the new stem piece so I wouldn’t be tied to a specific shape when it came time to replicate the old one.
With 1″ borders elsewhere on the sidedecks and foredeck, I worked to mask and paper the remaining areas of the deck.
Afterwards. I masked off the hull below the rubrail with some plastic sheeting to protect against overspray, vacuumed and solvent-washed the deck areas, and prepared paint and spray equipment as required for the work ahead.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.5 hours
0600 Weather Report:
Cloudy, 40°. Forecast for the day: chance of showers in the morning, then cloudy, near 50.