October 20, 2015
Starting once more at the controls of a sander, I went over the various deck areas as needed, sanding the fairing compound and revealing, as expected, various low spots and areas requiring additional attention.
At the poop deck, I sanded the structural filler as required, working to form relatively clean and true edges at the locker openings that would allow me to continue rebuilding work before fine-tuning the openings’ cosmetics later on.
Next, I prepared additional fairing compound and installed a second round on all the deck recore patches, focusing on a clean contour and consistency with the adjacent areas. Small voids would be easy to fill later.
Inside the cabin, I prepared as needed the inside faces of the old instrument hole patch and deck water fill patch, and applied a layer of fiberglass over these areas.
Back at the poop deck, I used some clear pattern material left over from an upholstery job to create a pattern for the new fiberglass top skin. Then, I mixed a small batch of filler and took care of any minor voids from the first round, and used it to fill and wet out the top side of the core material. I left this application to cure over lunchtime, and while I prepared the fiberglass for the deck.
Down at the bench, I cut two layers of fiberglass to fit, with well-staggered joints between the pieces of each layer, then wet out the layers and applied them to the deck.
With nice weather on hand, and effectively all done that could be done, I used the remaining couple hours of the afternoon to work on winter details of some of the storage boats outdoors.
Total time billed on this job today: 5 hours
0600 Weather Report:
37°, rain showers. Forecast for the day: showers ending in the morning, becoming partly sunny and warming to the low 60s.