Aventura 36


Charlotte (FKA Aventura), a 1977 Sea Sprite 23' Sloop


Project Complete:  273.75 Total Hours

Scope of Project: Hull and deck refinish; brightwork maintenance; repairs as necessary; minor interior refit

Begin Daily Project Logs

November 23, 2015

Aventura 36

< Back to Aventura


The toerails had had several days in the clamps to cure, so I removed the clamps now and sanded clean the scarf joints to remove excess epoxy.

Afterwards, I applied a sealer coat of varnish to all sides of the two rails, as well as to a new set of teak handrails for the cabin top.

After unclamping the deadlights and their new lenses, I was left with cured squeezeout on the inside faces of the units, which I trimmed and removed easily with a knife.  Then, I installed the assemblies with their original screws and plenty of sealant.  I removed the protective masking from the outer side of the lens, but left the inside to protect the ports from interior painting, which I was about to begin.

I installed the ports now because their design featured an interior flange that rested nearly flush with the surrounding surfaces, and could be painted to blend in more effectively.    To prepare for primer and paint in the main cabin, I masked off various areas as needed, and cleaned up the surfaces.  At the same  time, I masked around the two aft lockers in the cockpit, and also the companionway trim, all of which I’d be working on in the immediate future.

With preparations complete, I applied a coat of primer to the main cabin and quarterberths, down as far as the built-in shelves.  I also primed the mast support structure, as I’d completed a minor repair there earlier and needed to hide it.  Then, I primed the two cockpit lockers at the stern, as well as the undersides of the loose hatches as required.

While I still had good access to the hull, I decided to move the jackstands and paint the patches beneath their previous locations.

In the woodshop, thinking ahead to the new cockpit coamings and other trim, I planed three rough 4/4 teak boards down to their finished thickness of about 7/8″, spending almost as much time changing the planer blades as actually planing the stock.

Finally, just before the end off the day I applied another coat of varnish to the toerails and handrails, as the first very thin coat had dried sufficiently.  I also applied a sealer coat to the companionway trim.


Total time billed on this job today:  8 Hours

0600 Weather Report:
Cloudy, breezy, heavy dusting of new snow on the ground.  Forecast for the day:  clearing, 30s.