March 27, 2017
After a substantial shipping delay, I received the new sockets that I’d ordered to repair the existing stern light housing. The sockets were what I needed, but were just a bit of a loose fit inside the bronze casting of the stern light; the old socket that I’d removed had been a tight friction fit. To secure the new socket in a firm yet non-permanent way, I wedged it in place with some little sticks to hold it, then filled the bottom part of the housing around the edges of the socket with adhesive sealant, which would hold the light socket securely once cured.
Next on my agenda was the mast and boom, both of which were varnished spruce and required normal varnish upkeep and maintenance coats. The spars and existing coatings were in good condition. I lightly sanded the existing finish to prepare it, then strung up the spars between some supports so I could varnish all sides at once as required. I removed the spreaders and set them up elsewhere for their varnish coats.
With preparations complete, I applied a coat of gloss varnish to the mast, boom, and spreaders.
With most of the work on the boat complete, I took some overall photos of the cabin and decks.
Total time billed on this job today: 3.25 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
32°, cloudy. Forecast for the day: rain, sleet, freezing rain, 35. Spring in Maine.