March 3, 2017
With the varnish work complete in the cabin, I removed the masking tape, then, after some final cleanup and other preparations, painted out the galley and head lockers, as well as the bilge areas. Later on, I applied a second coat to some areas that required it.
In and amongst some planning for the final stages of the project, I got to work on some of the hardware, sorting through and organizing for the installations ahead. I was still waiting for some original replacement hardware that I’d purchased from another Sailmaster 22, so this continued to delay the installation of deck cleats and so forth. Instead, I focused for now on the lazarette hatch, beginning with installing a new stainless steel piano hinge to connect the two halves; the original hinge had been beyond salvage. I’d filled the original fastener holes during surface prep, so I marked and drilled new holes for stainless fasteners to secure the hinge in place to the built-in wooden supports within the hatch edges.
The two cowl vents that had originally graced the hatches had also been in non-salvageable condition at the time of removal, so I installed new replacements in kind, and reinstalled the original flagpole socket and latch mounts on the outer edges as well. I’d finish up the deck side of the latches at another time. For each installation, I marked, drilled, and tapped for machine screw fasteners, and secured each piece in a bed of sealant.
Total time billed on this job today: 7 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
18°, clear. Forecast for the day: sunny, 30