Halcyon 47


Halcyon,  Sailmaster 22 Sloop #128


Project Complete:  294.5 Total hours

Scope of Project:   Full restoration, including deck refinishing and repair; interior refinishing; new electrical and systems; rigging inspection; brightwork maintenance

Begin Daily Project Logs

March 6, 2017

Halcyon 47

< Back to Halcyon


The supplied mounting hardware that came with the portable toilet wouldn’t work in this installation, given the limited space on the shelf required for clearance. so instead I installed a pair of wooden cleats that would simply hold the unit from sliding; it wasn’t really going to go anywhere in the confines of the space anyway.  Finished with this area, I reinstalled the longitudinal panel across the inside, securing it with screws to allow easy removal if necessary.

I fit in the refinished cabin sole, now that most of the other work was done in the cabin; these pictures came out poorly; apologies.

I spent the bulk of the day installing some of the deck hardware, starting with the bow pulpit.  During the deck structural work earlier, I’d either overbored and filled all fastener holes with epoxy, or replaced the coring in way of certain installations with solid fiberglass, so at this point there was no further need for pre-treating any of the fastener holes, streamlining the installations.    With the bow pulpit locations lightly marked with a small pilot hole earlier, it was straightforward to drill and tap these holes for new machine screw fasteners, lightly chamfer the top edges of the holes, and install the pulpit in a bed of sealant.

I continued with the hawsehole for the anchor rode.  I’d await the anchor chocks till a little later, when I had an anchor on hand to ensure proper fit; the anchor I took off the boat at the beginning of the project was badly rusted and seized, but I had one hanging around that could replace it.

Continuing aft for now, I installed the four stanchions and bases.  Once again, I’d pre-marked the fastener locations, and it was a relatively simple matter to drill and tap the fastener holes for new 5/16″ fasteners.

At the poop deck, I finished up the latch installation for the lazarette hatches, installing the two base sections to the deck.  In these areas, I’d omitted the core during rebuilding, replacing it with solid fiberglass.

After a delay, the replacement hardware–obtained from another owner who’d salvaged the original aluminum hardware off at least two different Sailmasters of similar vintage–was on its way and due at the shop soon.  Once it arrived, I could complete the remaining hardware installations, including mooring cleats and more, using the best of the various pieces included in the large lot.  I also ordered some fixtures and materials to complete some of the remaining tasks on my list, like the simple electrical system and new hoses, etc. for the cockpit scuppers and fresh water plumbing, and I’d be working on those projects in due course.

Finally, down in the cabin I touched up a few places with white paint, and painted out the centerboard winch assembly and riser, which I’d not painted before now.

Total time billed on this job today:  6.75 hours

0600 Weather Observation:
10°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  sunny, low 30s