Halcyon 49


Halcyon,  Sailmaster 22 Sloop #128


Project Complete:  294.5 Total hours

Scope of Project:   Full restoration, including deck refinishing and repair; interior refinishing; new electrical and systems; rigging inspection; brightwork maintenance

Begin Daily Project Logs

March 8, 2017

Halcyon 49

< Back to Halcyon


To finish up the work on the new countertops, I installed a trim piece along the inboard edge of the galley countertop; this was an original trim piece that I’d refinished along with the rest of the interior, but it had fallen off sometime in the past and I’d found it stored elsewhere in the boat.  Then, I reinstalled the edge trim, small drawer, and panel front to complete the installation.  Before installing the forward section of trim, I installed the water pump, since the trim fit over the top of the pump base.

On the opposite side, I reinstalled a pair of wooden cleats on the bulkhead, which would ultimately support a small sliding shelf.

Down in the shop, I prepared the small sliding shelf and the icebox lid for their new laminate covering, then test-fit the pieces once complete.  The icebox lid still needed its edge trim and ring pull installed.

Next, I reinstalled the chainplates, using new bolts.  I’d cleaned up the original chainplates earlier in the project.

Afterwards, I cleaned up and installed the deck cover plates, securing them with machine screws in tapped holes.  I used lots of sealant beneath the plates and around the chainplate slots.

I reinstalled the mast step with new bolts and sealant.  It pays to have many sets of locking pliers sometimes.

When I rebuilt the two sides of the poop deck, I wasn’t sure where the stern cleats would end up, so I cored through the entire area.  Now, preparing ahead for the installation,  I located the two cleats on the deck where I wanted them, and, with a 1/2″ bit, bored out the top skin and core material in way of the cleats’ fasteners, then filled the voids with thickened epoxy, which I’d allow to cure overnight.

Choosing the best pair of deadlight frames from the two sets available, I spent some time scraping off old sealant and cleaning up the frames to get them ready for installation.  I also cleaned up the opening port from the forward side of the cabin trunk.  Installation would follow soon.

Total time billed on this job today:  6.75 hours

0600 Weather Observation:
42°, light rain.  Forecast for the day:  eventual clearing, into the 50s