January 23, 2017
First thing, I sanded the latest–and one of the last–rounds of fairing filler on portions of the deck, including around the chainplate repairs and poop deck, along with the hole repair and skim coat on the two lazarette hatches.
Other than a few minor low areas that would require another round of filler, most of the deck repair and surface preparations were now complete, so I turned to the exterior woodwork. The original job scope had been to perform basic maintenance to the woodwork, but after various discussions with the owner about the condition of the woodwork, the owner elected to go with my suggestion to strip the old finish, which was many layers of Cetol wood finish that had grown heavy and dark over the years, albeit well-maintained so that the wood itself was basically sound in all areas.
With heat gun and scraper, I went around the boat removing the old finish from the toerails and outboard sides of the coamings. The wood itself was in fair condition: structurally sound, but showing its age. Stripping left the wood looking spotty and rough, but sanding would clean it up pretty well a little later. I’d finish up the exterior stripping with the insides of the coamings and companionway trim and rails next time.
Meanwhile, to finish up the day, I prepared a small batch of epoxy fairing compound to fill various areas still requiring it in deck.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.25 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
30°, cloudy. Forecast for the day: mostly cloudy, 32.