January 17, 2017
To begin, I sanded all the new little fiberglass patches around the deck, bringing them flush with the adjacent surfaces as needed.
I also cleaned up around the newly-cored poop deck areas, preparing the core and surrounding surfaces for the next steps.
The nature of recoring small deck sections like those on the poop deck, with cambers in two directions and other nearby molding complications, is such that the existing deck edge flanges tend to spring up once the decks are cut apart, and this, along with other intangible factors, often leads to the new coring being slightly lower than the underside of the existing deck surfaces. So to bring the height to a compatible level, I cut and installed in epoxy two layers of fiberglass over the central sections of the core. This would help the final layers of fiberglass lie properly over the repairs later.,
I went over the main deck areas again with a second round of fairing compound, applying it mainly over the new fiberglass patches from earlier, and a few other areas requiring additional filling. This brought me to the end of a short work morning, after which I had to leave the shop on other business.
Total time billed on this job today: 2.5 hours
0600 Weather Report:
20°, partly clear. Forecast for the day: Mostly sunny, 34.