March 16, 2017
The main event of the day was to install the deadlights. For this. one of the only tasks I’d yet to figure out how to do alone, I’d lined up some help. Before beginning the actual job, I’d prepared ahead by laying out plastic sheeting on the sidedecks for protection, and arranging the required tools, fasteners, and other supplies at the ready. I checked the fit of each frame in its opening and cleaned the openings as a final step.
Outside, I applied sealant to the bonding flange and pressed the frame into the opening–on this boat, the openings were a close and accurate fit to the frame with no appreciable sloppiness. This actually improved the process and made the installation go more smoothly than in many cases. With my helper holding the frame tightly in position from the outside, I went in the boat and installed the inner frame, lining up and installing the many screws to get them started before tightening everything securely.
After completing both sides, I cleaned up the excess sealant and removed the masking from the new lenses, completing the installation.
I’d hoped to wrap up work on the electrical and water systems, but the materials I’d been awaiting didn’t arrive till too late in the day, so I’d continue with these final items next time. In the meantime, I unwrapped the mast and boom, which I’d stored alongside in the shop, so I could begin preparations for maintenance coats of varnish on the spars. Both were in good condition and wouldn’t require any significant work.
Total time billed on this job today: 2.75 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
21°, partly cloudy. Forecast for the day: Sunny, 30