November 28, 2016
During the morning, I sanded the teak trim and bulkheads on the starboard side, much as I’d done on the other side earlier. Where the panels were to be primed and painted, I focused on sanding the existing coating smooth and abrading the whole surface evenly to prepare for the primer. I learned that the white Formica sliding panels hiding the storage areas abbove the settees and galley were easily removavable, so I did so to make sanding and finishing easier.
I discovered that the section of teak cabin sole plywood that I had on hand, and which I’d planned to use for the nav station sole replacement, wasn’t wide enough to use for the space after all, at least not with the planks running the “right” direction, i.e. fore and aft like the rest of the boat: it came up a couple inches short. It wasn’t worth purchasing a whole new sheet for such a small area, so instead, I stripped the original sole and sanded it clean for refinishing; it was still in good condition and would look good when refinished.
After thoroughly cleaning the interior and all surfaces with vacuum and solvent wash, I began masking around the trim to prepare it for varnish. With more bright surfaces than painted, and the way things were configured, it made sense to me to do the brightwork first, then the paint. I worked at masking for the remainder of the day, completing the starboard side and parts of the port side before running out of time.
Total time billed on this job today: 7 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
24°, clear. Forecast for the day: sunny, 42