Acadia 4


Acadia, 1979 Sabre 34


September 2016 – December 2016

Begin Daily Project Logs

September 22, 2016

Acadia 4

< Back to Acadia


To get started, I washed and lightly sanded the epoxy filler I’d applied in the engine room and stern tube, bringing these areas smooth and flush with their surrounds as required.  Afterwards, with the heavy grinding work behind me, I spent some time cleaning up the work area to prepare for moving forward with new work.

Outside the boat, I completed some final preparations on the old strut location, digging out the fastener holes to remove old sealant, and then preparing the holes for filling.   After masking over the holes from inside, I filled them with a thickened epoxy mixture before installing several layers of fiberglass over the entire area, along with the stern tube location.

Later, I added several additional layers of fiberglass in the recessed portion of the strut location, bringing the area more or less flush with its surrounds, then covered the area with one additional layer over the whole thing.  Inside the boat, I filled the exposed end of the old stern tube with thickened epoxy, then applied two layers of fiberglass set in epoxy over the top to seal the inside of the old opening.

Meanwhile, I made various measurements as I prepared for some of the new work ahead.

Total time billed on this job today:  5 hours

0600 Weather Observation:
50°, mostly clear.  Forecast for the day:  mostly sunny, around 80