November 14, 2016
To give me good working access to the toerails, I set up staging around the boat at deck height.
The existing brightwork on deck was in good condition overall and well-maintained, but the most recent application of varnish was filled with brush marks and runs in many areas. In some areas it was really pretty awful.
To prepare the brightwork for maintenance coats, I sanded everything with 220 grit paper–a little coarser than I’d normally use between maintenance coats–to smooth and otherwise prepare the surfaces, and remove the drips and rough texture left by the previous applicator.
After vacuuming and a solvent wash, I began to mask off the brightwork, beginning with the toerails, Where I could, I used green masking tape, but anywhere the tape had to lie on the gloss deck paint I used blue low-tack masking tape, hoping it wouldn’t harm the finish the way masking tape had previously in the cockpit during the previous varnish application. Mid-November and the big door wide open.
I’d continue the masking next time, as it was the end of the day I wanted to give the newly-painted cockpit areas an additional day before overmasking anyway.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.25 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
26°, clear. Forecast for the day: sunny, 55