Acadia 12


Acadia, 1979 Sabre 34


September 2016 – December 2016

Begin Daily Project Logs

October 6, 2016

Acadia 12

< Back to Acadia


One final step I wanted to complete before the engine foundation was ready for installation was to deal with drainage through the space.  There  would be no clear passage (that I could determine)  directly beneath the foundation base from  end to end, because the recess and opening for the Saildrive leg more or less obstructed the way, but I thought it was prudent to add a limber hose beneath the foundation so there was at least some means of drainage from the aft part of the boat.  The solution would be necessarily imperfect, but worthwhile nonetheless.

To this end, I installed a drain hose on the bottom of the foundation, exiting at the centerline at both ends.  I secured the hose out of the way around the Saildrive opening as required for clearance; this forced an uphill angle in the hose run at the aft end, but there was no helping it given the contours of the foundation and how it related with the hull.  To secure the hose at the ends, I bedded it in some thickened epoxy adhesive.  Later, I’d cut the hose ends flush with the foundation.

Later, I continued work in the engine room with the potable water system.  As needed, I shortened the existing wiring harness and reconnected the wires to the water pump, then installed a new accumulator tank on the aft bulkhead of the space, connecting it to the pump’s outlet with a new length of hose.  From here, I began to reroute the existing water hoses around the aft end of the engine room, where I felt they’d be most out of the way.  I planned to continue this run across the top of the after bulkhead, then down the port side to where the hoses re-entered the cabinetry.  As needed, I’d replace fittings, clamps, and extend or shorten the hoses accordingly.

With only a short time window this day since I’d been focused on a small–but time-sensitive–side project for a couple days, I made worthwhile progress despite the minimal change in the noticeable appearance of the system, but now the route forward was more clear, and I looked forward to wrapping up these ancillary installations as soon as possible so I could move on with the engine installation itself.

Total time billed on this job today:  1.75 hours

0600 Weather Observation:
39°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  sunny, high in the 70s