April 21, 2016
Taking advantage of a beautiful day, I finished up a couple final chores for Danusia, starting with new bottom paint.
When I’d reloaded the anchor chain into the new windlass at the end of the original project earlier in the winter, I’d recommended installing some sort of protective plate over the bow platform between the roller and the windlass, as I feared the chain, when wiggling and wobbling its way up or down, might harm the surface. It would also protect the platform from the anchor shank at rest. At the time, the boat was being moved outdoors and covered, so although I acquired the bronze plate shortly thereafter, I waited till the boat was uncovered to finalize the installation.
I’d ordered a 1/8″ x 3″ x 18″ bronze plate, which I’d determined was a good size for the area in question, and now I held the plate in position so I could mark an angled cut required on one side to match the angle of the teak platform. Down on the bench, I cut off the excess and finished off the cut appropriately. I prepared several countersunk holes for screws.
Installation was straightforward. I started with the plate just aft of two slots in the platform and aligned it as needed, then secured it with bronze screws.
Total time billed on this job today: 2 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
25°, clear. Forecast for the day: sunny, 70s