February 17, 2016
After a light sanding, vacuum, and solvent wash, I applied the first of a couple coats of enamel to the steering pedestal.
The hull was in good condition overall, but needed just a touch of sprucing up. I started at the transom, where I removed the rest of the old name and hailport and cleaned and polished the surface to prepare it for the new graphics, which would be on hand soon.
I continued with the port topsides, which started out looking pretty good but with some staining and minor wear or oxidation.
Though the forwardmost waterline would require a little more work–there was some yellow staining just above the boottop that I wanted to get rid of with another product, as well as some marks probably left by a mooring buoy–after a straightforward polish and buff the topsides looked cleaner and renewed.
With some color changes on hand, my first step was to replace the existing blue cove stripe with classic gold leaf. I was running out of shop time, as I had another commitment for the afternoon, so as of this writing there remained some work at the aft end of the cove stripe and with the original logo, but the remainder was complete. I’d repeat these basic processes on the starboard side next time.
Total time billed on this job today: 3.5 hours
0600 Weather Report:
30°, clear. Forecast for the day: partly sunny, high around 42.