Danusia 21


Danusia, Cape Dory 31


Project Complete:  234.5 Total Hours

Scope of Project:  Brightwork refinish; cabin sole refinish; miscellaneous maintenance, upgrades, and repairs

Begin Daily Project Logs

January 21, 2016

Danusia 21

< Back to Danusia


I began the day with the waste vent, first removing the old fitting, which fortunately came off without too much difficulty as the access was tough.    Since the boat’s name was being changed as part of this project, I went ahead and removed one of the old letters that would interfere with the new vent’s installation (I’d remove the remaining letters a little later).

With the old vent out and the area cleaned up, I installed the new vent fitting in a bed of sealant, protecting the polished bronze finish with tape during installation.  Inside, I connected the existing hose with a new clamp, completing the job after I reinstalled the cowl vent on deck.

Next, I returned to the cabin sole project, and after getting set up with tools and breathing equipment,  I sanded the newly-stripped surface to smooth it and prepare for new varnish.

This job went more quickly than I’d anticipated, a happy thing as it allowed me ample time to clean up from the sanding, mask off the sole,  solvent wash, and apply a sealer coat of varnish.  I’d not expected to be varnishing this day, so I was pleased with the advance.  To help give me somewhere to stand as I varnished myself into the aft corners, I installed a temporary plywood hatch over the bilge access in the galley (the actual hatches were down in the shop awaiting stripping and their own varnish).


Total time billed on this job today:  7 hours

0600 Weather Report:
10°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 28°